Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I did it! 52 Books In One Year

It took a couple of years of falling just short of 52 books in one year, but this year I did it.

Yes. I read 52 books in one year. Years before I started keeping track of the books I read, I imagine I read well over that many, perhaps double, in one year. When I started keeping track of how many books I read, it was a way of cataloguing the time I gave myself when I had so little time to myself to give. It's no surprise this keeping track of my books began four years ago, or after Gus was born and after I finished a dissertation.

Even now, I type with a little blonde head poking into the crook of my arm and from that head whispers, "Excuse me, mommy." Her little pizza and ice cream fingers keep inching toward my keyboard because that is what she does whenever I start typing.

It is New Year's Eve night, and the kids are stuffed on pizza and ice cream (Ben and Jerry's "Americone Dream" flavor is damn tasty), "The Sword and the Stone" is playing from the living room, and the Pilot is still at work.

Neither kid napped today, yet they know enough to will themselves awake. Cora refuses to sit and just wanders around in a circle, her own little planet on an exhausted orbit. Gus is a mess of too much sugar and television and too little sleep and, uh, vegetables?

But here it is, the books I read in the past two months or so, the ones that I frantically read to help get me to the elusive 52 books.

I feel empowered by the number and by meeting the goal, as if in meeting it I am little more myself than I have been in a while.

Here's to reading about the same yet writing more in the new year.

October (end of)
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

November
The Love Artist by Jane Alison
My Poets by Maureen N. McLane
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

December (11 books in one month!)
The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
A Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Biography: A Very Short Introduction by Hermione Lee
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah MacLean
Tomato Red by Daniel Woodrell
No Good Duke Goes Unpunished by Sarah MacLean
The World is Round by Gertrude Stein

I would add photos, but the children are demanding bedtime reading and the Pilot is still at work.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Bette said...

What a happy accomplishment! Here's to a wonderful 2014 for you and your family.